I know, I know – I really fell off the face of the food-making/eating/writing planet over the past two months. Those who know me are well aware that I had been chin-deep in gala planning for my (now former) organization. Though the Benefit went superbly, these events suck my time, energy, soul, and spirit, so I’m terribly happy that it’s all over.
For the past few weeks, I’ve been unable to cook and eat the way I like to cook and eat, which is decidedly the worst thing ever. An unmitigated disaster. For example, my stomach shrunk so much in the last month that I couldn’t even finish my egg, bacon & cheese croissant sammich, the other day (see photo below). Who am I? WHO AM I?
Anyway, I’m pleased to say that I’m entering a new era of my life and career, as I’ve accepted a role as Director of Development at a wonderful school in Brooklyn. The new gig starts on May 18th, so my plans for the coming week’s staycation are to cook, eat, relax, and repeat.
Because I’ve been eating small portions of junk for the last month or so, I really need this week’s meals to be both light and delicious. Without further ado, here’s the menu:
- Steamed whole sea bass with ginger, garlic, and scallions + jasmine rice + spicy sauteed swiss chard
- Nicoise salad (w/ arugula, tuna, German potato salad, olives, string beans, and hard boiled eggs) + rye bread
- Kimchi fried rice w/ spam + arugula and roasted asparagus salad
- Farro salad w/ roasted sweet potato, roasted carrots, radishes, pickled shallots, and crumbled feta cheese
- Porcini mushroom risotto (w/ homemade roasted vegetable and chicken stock) + roasted brussel sprouts
- Ddak bulgogi + jasmine rice + butter-braised brussel sprouts
- Miso ramen w/ charred chicken, bok choy, mushrooms, and corn
- Beef, olive and raisin empanadas (w/ homemade dough)
- Plus: my very first attempt at making blueberry pie!
Coming up…On Trying Something New: Self-Doubt as Motivation, Plus a Recipe for Blueberry Pie